Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Back to the Grind

It is amazing to me how much an upcoming vacation can add to a to-do list. 

Ken and I just got back from a week in the Caribbean. And let me just say, if you're jealous about that you're going to be even more green when I tell you it was fantastic! I can sincerely say I have no complaints to lodge about last week except perhaps that we lost our waterproof camera on the journey home, and therefore have no record of several days.

Well preparations for a week of vacation seemed innumerable. First, the law firm that I consult for part time needed a lot of prep work. Apparently there is a lot there that I am still responsible for, even though I've really been trying to phase out. So there went 2 really long days. Additionally the week before vacation was also a remodeling week at my mom's church. This had me on the hook for the tearing down of two walls, and the painting of a new room (which at the beginning of the week was actually 3 rooms). Plus, Wednesday morning I was in a car accident. Nothing serious, but a fender bender good enough to make my back and neck stiff for days. Good thing I had vacation coming up right?

Saturday was finally a day to relax. I started packing and cleaning up the house a bit. Then Saturday night we had scheduled plans with my Bestie and her husband, who were in from Chicago. Of course then at dinner we find out that THEY ARE EXPECTING THEIR FIRST BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Lord knows then I needed to have all of the details and so we sat and talked until nearly 10:00. I know what you're thinking: What's so bad about 10:00? But we had 30 minutes to drive back home, and a 6:00am flight. And by the way, it was daylight savings time weekend which means one less hour of sleep. So we were in bed at 11:00pm and up at 2:00am which was really 3:00am and at the airport by 4:00am and completely exhausted by 9:00am. But who cares if you're exhausted when you can sleep as much as you want for a week!

We cruised to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten on a Carnival cruise. The week was completely full of great weather, even better food, and the best company we could ask for. For the first time we chose to vacation with some friends of ours, instead of taking the time for just the two of us. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous, because although I've known this girl for going on 15 years, I wasn't sure how they like to vacation, and whether her boyfriend would really enjoy having us around. I should have known we would have nothing to worry about. By the first evening on board we had all established a "We're doing whatever we want, if you want to come great, if not see you later" attitude. And we were all perfectly happy with that. No hurt feelings if we weren't doing the same thing. No whining or arguing about appropriate activities. Just 7 days of relaxation and fun.

In St. Thomas and St. Kitts we spent some time on the beautiful beaches. In Barbados we intended to tour a rum distillery or a sugar cane factory, but we were so late getting up and getting breakfast that by the time we were off the ship we didn't have enough time left in port. St. Lucia was a zip line tour, which I highly recommend despite my great fear of heights, and in St. Maarten an amazing morning snorkeling followed by an up close encounter with dolphins on our return water taxi trip. Sadly any pictures of that were lost with the waterproof camera :(

So although we had to leave paradise, I'm happy to be home. And I'm feeling really refreshed and ready to tackle my to-do list for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment